Pet Loss and Grief Support
It’s important to know there is no standard when it comes to grieving the loss of a loved one. Whether you find comfort in being alone during this time or draw strength from being around others, always know the team at Forever Friends is here to help in any way we can.
Tips for Coping with Pet Loss
While each person experiences grief differently, here are some general tips to help you throughout the process:
- Acknowledge your feelings and give yourself permission to express them in some way.
- Don’t allow others to dictate how you “should” feel. Remember, there is no right or wrong way to experience your loss.
- Reach out to someone who can lend a sympathetic ear. This may even be a person outside your usual circle of friends and family.
- Creating a memorial of some sort for your pet can be healing and therapeutic.
- Take care of yourself. The process of grieving can be physically and mentally draining. Try to eat well, get plenty of sleep, and exercise regularly.
- It’s ok to seek professional help if you need it. When feelings of persistent grief begin interfering with your ability to function, you may require the services of a mental health professional.
You may also find support groups and other information about dealing with pet loss online: